Early Childhood Blended Program (ECBP)
Children not yet ready for our standard kindergarten program will be offered all-day programming in our Early Childhood Blended Program (ECBP). The ECBP program offers a blended approach to learning that includes a mix of early childhood education and elementary education. The school day will focus on social, emotional and behavioral growth as well as have a literacy and math focus. Below is important information about our program:
- ECBP students will be exposed to Linn-Mar’s math curriculum, Everyday Mathematics at both PK and Kindergarten levels, depending on their skills and understanding.
- Creative Curriculum is utilized throughout the school day which is based on early childhood theories and research. It creates purposeful and productive play experiences that help children grow in all areas. The goal of the Creative Curriculum is for children to become independent, self-confident, curious learners who work well with others.
- The Early Childhood Blended Program uses SPLASH into Pre-K which is a comprehensive coverage of all the critical domains and fully integrates all curricular areas of learning through the program. Every aspect of SPLASH into Pre-K was intentionally designed and developed ensuring seamless teaching and learning and Kindergarten readiness.
- The first Monday of each month (with the exception of Labor Day) will be Professional Development time for staff and children will not attend.
- Enrollment in this program will be determined by data collected from parents and through the screening process to help identify how we can best meet your child’s needs. To help us with the process, parents are asked to fill out the Linn-Mar Kindergarten Information Sheet.
- A year of ECBP is followed by a year of full day kindergarten.
- A student attending ECBP would be considered as being retained in kindergarten.
- Parents should also plan on attending the Kindergarten Information Night at their neighborhood schools.
- All ECBP locations will be at Novak Elementary.
Parents know their child best, therefore, this information will be used along with information gleaned during the screening process. The main areas that will be considered include: social readiness (e.g. separates easily, follows directions), fine motor skills (e.g. cutting, prints name), pre-reading skills (e.g. letter identification, rhyming), and pre-math skills (e.g. number recognition, sorting).
Screenings- ATTENTION!!! Screening for the 2020-2021 School Year are now closed.
Screening Dates for the 2021-2022 School Year are scheduled for February 19, 2021 and February 22, 2021. Please watch for sign up options closer to those dates.
If you have questions about our Early Childhood Blended Program, please contact Michaela O’Connell at 319-730-3627.
Within all programming options, the developmental needs of the child will be monitored on a regular basis to ensure the current placement is appropriate for the child. Teacher and parent communication is important during the first several months of school so that the educational experience of the child is successful.
Director of Early Childhood Education: Michaela O’Connell