Excelsior Moves to Virtual Learning beginning Wed, Nov. 11
Due to the increased number of COVID-19 cases impacting Excelsior Middle School and our community, we will be moving from our current hybrid model to virtual learning for all Excelsior students beginning Wednesday, November 11th with the intent to apply for the Department of Education’s two-week virtual learning waiver through Monday, November 30th.
As of Monday 11/10/20, the Linn County positivity rate is 21.8%. We have approximately 20 staff members either in isolation or in quarantine and we are unable to find an adequate number of substitutes to hold school in-person in a safe manner. These numbers continue to rise, so we need to take action and make this change. Fortunately, we have planned for this scenario and are ready to make the transition quickly.
Important Points Regarding the Transition:
- Students currently in the Family Choice Model will continue to follow their regular schedules with no changes.
- All Excelsior students will follow the same hybrid daily schedules they have been using. The only change will be that all student learning will take place in an at-home, virtual format with no students attending in-person.
- All Excelsior students should bring their devices home during this period to be able to access instruction.
- All other Linn-Mar students will continue with their same school schedules. This transition for Excelsior students DOES NOT impact other buildings at this time.
- Excelsior facilities will be closed for all activities and athletics during this period as well.
We recognize that this decision puts an additional burden on families.
Please know that we are taking this action to protect the health and safety of our students and staff.
We look forward to being able to return to in-person, hybrid learning on December 1st; which will be dependent on the status of COVID-19 and the guidance we receive from the Department of Education.
Shannon Bisgard, Superintendent
Linn-Mar Community School District