On May 29th, 1946 the voters of Marion Township approved a plan to reorganize the school facilities of the area into one independent unit. By 1948, 17 subdistricts (including 12 one-room schools, and one two-room school) officially became the Marion Rural Independent School District. At that time, 287 students were enrolled in grades K-8. North 10th Street was lined with farm fields as were most of the other current Linn-Mar school building sites. Despite a district name change in 1959 and three merger votes with Marion Independent — all of which failed — Linn-Mar has had continual growth and retained a sense of community for over six decades.
Today, seven elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school are located throughout the district. More than 1,200 staff serve the educational needs of nearly 7,800 students K-12.
The faculty and staff are dedicated to a quality educational experience for all Linn-Mar students as we strive to Inspire Learning, Unlock Potential and Empower Achievement.
- 1948: 12 one-room schools and 1 two-room school officially named the Marion Rural Independent School District.
- 1949: Main Elementary School (K-8) completed and named Marion Rural Independent School
- 1959: Linn-Mar Senior High constructed
- 1961: Indian Creek Elementary built
- 1963: Junior High School constructed (now the southwest portion of Linn-Mar High School)
- 1966: Wilkins Elementary constructed
- 1968: Bowman Woods Elementary constructed
- 1995: Linn-Mar Intermediate School constructed (now Excelsior Middle School)
- 1997: $25 million bond issue passed.
- 1999: District changed from a K-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-12 configuration to a K-5, 6-8, 9-12 configuration. Westfield Elementary was constructed. New gymnasiums and classrooms were added at Wilkins Elementary and Indian Creek Elementary.
- 2003: Oak Ridge School (K-8) was built. Linn-Mar Middle School became Excelsior Middle School.
- 2006: $27.5 million bond issue passed to build two new elementary schools (Echo Hill & Linn Grove), renovate and update the High School, renovated and update Novak Elementary and convert Oak Ridge to a middle school.
- 2009: Transportation and Operations & Maintenance move to their new building on 62nd Street.
- 2010: The new, relocated Novak Elementary opened. The Educational Services Center moved into the original Novak and was rededicated as the Learning Resource Center (LRC). COMPASS High School Alternative Program moved to the ground level of the LRC.
- 2011: The multi-purpose stadium and parking project was completed.
- 2012: The Linn-Mar baseball/softball complex completed.
- 2013: The Linn-Mar Aquatic Center completed.
- 2017: High School and Westfield renovation projects completed.
- 2018: Renovation projects to Excelsior, Oak Ridge, Bowman Woods, Indian Creek, and Westfield.
- 2019: Renovation projects to Bowman Woods, Indian Creek, Excelsior, Oak Ridge and Linn-Mar High School. Projects include restroom remodel, locker replacement, roof replacement, and security/access control updates.
- 2019: Construction began on Boulder Peak and Hazel Point Intermediate Schools.