In 1949, 17 rural schools joined to build the Marion Rural Independent School District. At that time, 287 students were enrolled in grades K-8. Tenth Street was lined with farm fields as were most of the other current Linn-Mar school building sites. Despite a district name change in 1959 and three merger votes with Marion Independent — all of which failed — Linn-Mar has had continual growth and retained a sense of community for over six decades.
Today, seven elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school are located throughout the District. More than 1,000 staff serve the educational needs of more than 7,500 students K-12. Whether teaching, bussing or cooking, Linn-Mar staff are dedicated to the quality of the educational experience of all students.
In the future, Linn-Mar is planning for additional schools. The school district is currently developing a facilities plan. This would require community approval through a bond vote in 2017 and the school district to build a new middle school.
- 1948 Main Elementary School (K-8) completed and named Marion Rural Independent School
- 1949 Novak Elementary constructed
- 1959 Linn-Mar Senior High constructed
- 1961 Indian Creek Elementary built
- 1963 Junior High School constructed and Marion Independent Schools named Linn-Mar Community School by Iowa Legislature
- 1966 Wilkins Elementary constructed
- 1968 Bowman Woods Elementary constructed
- 1995 Linn-Mar Intermediate School constructed
- 1997 $25 million bond issue passed.
- 1999 District changed from a K-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-12 configuration to a K-5, 6-8, 9-12 configuration. Westfield Elementary was constructed. New gymnasiums and classrooms were added at Wilkins Elementary and Indian Creek Elementary.
- 2003 Oak Ridge School (K-8) was built. Linn-Mar Middle School became Excelsior Middle School.
- 2006 $27.5 million bond issue passed to build two new elementary schools (Echo Hill & Linn Grove), renovate and update the High School, renovated and update Novak Elementary and convert Oak Ridge to a middle school.
- 2009 Transportation and Operations & Maintenance move to their new building on 62nd Street.
- 2010 The new, relocated Novak Elementary opened. The Educational Services Center moved into the original Novak and was rededicated as the Learning Resource Center (LRC). COMPASS High School Alternative Program moved to the ground level of the LRC.
- 2011 The multi-purpose stadium and parking project was completed.
- 2012 The Linn-Mar baseball/softball complex is completed.
- 2013 The Linn-Mar Aquatic Center is completed
- 2016 High School renovation project is completed.