General Winter Weather Guidelines
The Linn-Mar Community School District will use the following guidelines when it comes to wind chill and extremely cold temperatures:
1. If the temperature is -15°F or colder school will be delayed, or canceled.
2. If the National Weather Service issues a wind chill advisory that would be in effect at the start of the school day, there may be a two-hour delay.
• A wind chill advisory means that wind chill values are expected to fall to between -20° & -29° F.
3. If the National Weather Service issues a wind chill warning that would be in effect at the start of the school day, there will be a two-hour delay.
• A wind chill warning means that the wind chill values are expected to fall to -30°F or lower.
4. If the wind chill warning will be in effect beyond 11:00 AM, classes will be canceled.
Please Note: These are general guidelines and each weather situation will be assessed independently.
The following criteria will be used as a general guideline in the district’s decision to declare a snow day.
Snow Days – Will be determined and announced via School Messenger, Social Media and Radio and TV stations, and the Linn-Mar website, the morning of the storm (by 5:30 AM)
- This will be a traditional snow day, no school for students.
- Due to the number of additional student hours already built into our school calendar, these days will not be made up later in the year.
Late Starts or Early Dismissals – Will be determined and announced via School Messenger, Social Media, Radio and TV stations, and the Linn-Mar website.
These guidelines are subject to change at the Superintendent’s discretion.
Please make sure you are signed up to receive SchoolMessenger alerts to receive winter weather announcements. Click here for more info on how to update your PowerSchool contact information to sync with SchoolMessenger
Shannon Bisgard, Superintendent
Linn-Mar Community School District