Highlights from the December 11th Board of Education Meeting
Below are highlights of the December 11th Board of Education meeting.
Please remember, these are just highlights and should not be considered the official minutes.
The school board approved the 2018-19 school calendar. Here are some highlights:
- First day of school for kindergarten through 9th grade is Thursday, August 23rd
- First day of school for grades 10-12 is Friday, August 24th
- Winter break is December 24th through January 1st
- Spring break is March 18th through the 22nd with a teacher work day on Monday, March 25th
- Last day of school is Friday, May 31st with a 2-hour early dismissal
Based on feedback from the Facilities Advisory Committee and OPN Architects, the following capital projects for summer 2018 have been approved:
|Bowman Woods||Phase I- Partial Roof, Restrooms, IT Network, Intercom, Corridor Flooring, Ceiling, Doors, Paint||$600,000||PPEL|
|Bowman Woods||Blacktop Resurfacing (playground area)||$50,000||PERL|
|Indian Creek||Phase I- Restrooms, Electrical Switchgear, Doors, Clocks, Ceiling, Paint||$600,000||PPEL|
|Wilkins||Phase I- Restrooms, IT Upgrade, Access Controls, Doors, Ceiling, Paint||$450,000||PPEL|
|Wilkins||Blacktop Resurfacing (playground area)||$50,000||PERL|
|LRC||Phase II- Fire Suppression||$75,000||PPEL|
Major Phase I renovations at each of the district’s historical buildings focuses on improving bathrooms. Installation of the fire suppression system at the Learning Resource Center will be Phase II of the project. It is anticipated that public bids for these projects will take place in February/March 2018.
Other presentations and areas of discussion included:
- The Marion Chamber of Commerce’s ImagiNEXT program whose goal is to engage the community in an open discussion to develop ideas that reinforce that Marion is an amazing place to grow a family or business! Anyone who lives or works in the community is encouraged to participate in the process by sharing their ideas on what they think could be the next projects for the city of Marion to move forward with. Learn more about the Imaginext program on their website and share your ideas on how to make Marion an even better community!
- The school board also reviewed the district’s 2016-17 Comprehensive Annual Finance Report. The 2016-17 report and previous annual reports can be viewed on the Business Office’s web page.
- The December 11th Board Book.
The next meeting of the Board of Education will be January 8th, 2018.
To view the full agenda and exhibits; visit the Board/Policy website.