L-M Foundation Gives Big on Giving Tuesday
On the day known as Giving Tuesday, the school district had the honor of receiving a check presented by the Linn-Mar Foundation during their board of directors meeting. On behalf of the district, Superintendent Dr. Quintin Shepherd accepted the Foundation’s gift of $71,800, which represents classroom and program grants submitted by teachers this fall.
Giving Tuesday is a national day of giving which falls after Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It’s a day to reflect on the ways one may want to give back to their community whether it’s volunteering, lending a creative skill, talent or resource or a monetary gift to support an area non-profit.
Today’s gift from the Linn-Mar Foundation represents several areas of classroom, curriculum and program funding teachers applied for this fall which include:
- District-wide Music In The Schools programming including Opera Iowa, Orchestra Iowa, and Pan American Steel Drum Ensembles which will visit each elementary building
- Makerstation or “Make to Learn” STEM learning centers, now in each Linn-Mar building
- District Google Expeditions virtual reality units
- Student iPad technology
- First grade Reading Fluency listening stations
- Mimio teach bars for staff instruction
- 3D printer for Linn-Mar High School
- Iowa BIG Makerstation: virtual reality equipment, 3D printer, 360 camera, drone, GoPro
- College campus tour experiences for juniors and seniors
- Visual Arts pottery wheels for Linn-Mar High School
- Music Connects instruments and lessons for students facing financial barriers
- Advanced Placement exams for students facing financial barriers
The Linn-Mar School Foundation was established over 30 years ago by engaged community leaders who wanted to set up a support system for the Linn-Mar Community School District.
A lot has changed in education over 30 years, but the Foundation’s mission remains even more important today. That mission is to help bridge funding gaps which exist in school budgets and support educational excellence in our district. Our generous giving community has supported this mission since 1985.
Thank you to to the Linn-Mar Foundation for this generous gift and for your continued support of the district.
For more information on the Linn-Mar School Foundation visit www.linnmarfoundation.org or contact Executive Director Shelley Woods at 447-3065.