Linn-Mar Closure Update March 18, 2020
As you all know, the COVID-19 pandemic situation is changing almost every hour, and we want our students, parents and community to be updated as much as possible during this time. Based on guidance from Governor Reynolds, the following outlines the changes that will result from our school closure, student education, nutrition services, status of spring sports and additional preventive steps Linn-Mar is implementing.
CHANGES DUE TO CLOSURE:
The following changes are being implemented:
- On-site daycare will still be offered via Hand in Hand and the YMCA with NEW HOURS (7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) STARTING MARCH 23. Custodial staff will ensure each location is sanitized every day.
- All athletic practices and competitions are canceled.
- All performing arts practices and events are canceled.
- Before/After School Programs at Linn-Mar schools, will not be open.
- All school-sponsored trips, no matter the destination, are canceled.
- Rental of Linn-Mar space by outside organizations is canceled.
- The Learning Resource Center will be closed as of March 23. District staff will be continuing vital operations remotely.
- All mail to school buildings will be on hold
- Teachers and staff, with the exception of designated operations staff, will not be allowed into school buildings.
To ensure equity for all Linn-Mar students, the district will not be ‘holding school’ via online classes. We will be offering resources to families in both high tech formats and low tech formats over this closure time period, however, this work is not a required element of a students grade.
High School families will receive more specific information soon regarding credits, graduation ceremonies, AP testing, ACT/SAT, etc as information becomes available.
These are uncertain times. We will continue to make the health and safety of our students, parents and community our top priority. We have created a page on our website designated to the latest COVID-19 updates, news, and resources. Please visit www.linnmar.k12.ia.us/covid-19-updates/ for the latest information. We will continue to update this page daily when new information is available.
We understand the acute needs of our families who rely on healthy meals provided at school daily. In light of that, Linn-Mar Community School District will be providing school lunch for all children and teens 18 and younger each weekday (Monday-Friday) from March 23 through April 10. District employees and volunteers will be setting up grab-and-go lunch to let students and families pick up meals. These meals will be distributed at no charge. Six sites will serve as meal-pick up locations for families, along with three meal delivery locations. Click here for Meal pick-up locations and times.
STATUS OF SPRING SPORTS:
Iowa High School Athletic Association issued a Press Release Monday 3/16 that states all spring activities in Iowa High School will be prohibited through the state’s K-12 school recommended closure of four weeks.
ADDITIONAL PREVENTIVE STEPS:
Linn-Mar is taking the following steps in response to Coronavirus:
- The district has convened a core leadership team to meet daily to be updated on COVID-19, engage or interact with Linn County Public Health, Iowa Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control for the latest guidance, and plan for a system of supports for students, staff and families.
- During this time, the Linn-Mar operations staff will do deep cleaning of all school buildings, above and beyond the additional cleaning that has already been in place.
We will continue to send regular communications to families and staff with updates related to COVID-19. In addition, information will also be available on our website. www.linnmar.k12.ia.us/covid-19-updates/