Novak Elementary got it’s start as the cornerstone of the current Linn-Mar Community School District. The original Novak building was constructed in 1948 at the current intersection of North 10th street and 29th avenue, which at the time, was one-half mile north of the city of Marion. It was known as the Marion Rural Independent School. It was built to replace 12 one-room schools, and a one two-room schoolhouse, in the rural areas of Marion Township.
As the population of the area continued to grow, Main elementary grew as well, with a classroom addition in 1953 and 1956. By 1960, it became evident that one building would not be enough to handle all the kindergarten through eighth grade students.
Throughout the 1960s, the original building underwent additional modifications, including the addition of a new kitchen and an expanded library. The library is now the district’s board room.
The school is named after Rudy Novak, a member of the original Marion Rural school board who served as school board president from 1950-1961. Novak later became Linn-Mar’s Maintenance Supervisor, a position he held until his retirement in 1975.
- 1948 – Marion Rural Independent School was built (now the Learning Resource Center)
- 1953 – Classroom addition to Main Elementary
- 1956 – Addition to Main Elementary
- 1965 – Kitchen addition to Main Elementary
- 1975 – Main elementary was renamed and dedicated September 14 to honor Rudy Novak, a member of the original Marion Rural school board. He served as school board president from 1950 to 1961.
- 2010 – Current Novak building constructed and opens
Funded by the School Infrastructure Local Option (SILO) Sales Tax.
Before the move to the new building, students were given the chance to vote on whether the new building should keep the Novak name. They voted overwhelmingly to keep their school as Novak, and the old building was renamed the Learning Resource Center (LRC) .
Today, Principal Carol O’Donnell and a staff of 87 are focused on education and a positive learning experience of more than 450 students.