Boulder Peak was constructed to relieve overcrowding in the district’s seven elementary buildings and two middle schools. Previously, the district’s elementary schools educated students in grades Kindergarten through 5th grade. The district’s middle schools served students in grades 6 through 8.
As of the fall of 2020, students from Indian Creek, Linn Grove, Novak, and Wilkins attend Boulder Peak Intermediate before moving on to Excelsior Middle School.
Boulder Peak is set to meet the needs of the district’s 5th and 6th grade students well into the future. It is designed to house approximately 800 students in 32 general education classrooms.
- On September 11th, 2018, voters in the Linn-Mar Community School District, approved a $55 million dollar bond referendum to allow for the construction of two intermediate buildings. There were 5,470 votes in favor of the proposal. A total of 8,248 ballots were cast.
- On January 28th, 2019, the architect design presentation was presented to the school board.
- On June 10th, 2019, a school naming committee, made up of parents, staff, and community members, reported to the Board of Education that 717 names were submitted for consideration. Boulder Peak was submitted by Indian Creek 5th Grader Evelyn Horn because, “We want to be strong and unstoppable to get to the peak of learning.”
- At approximately 12:30 PM on June 27th, 2019, ceremonial shovels broke ground at the building site. Members of the Board of Education and superintendent Shannon Bisgard were joined by Marion mayor Nick AbouAssaly, Marion Chamber of Commerce ambassadors, and several other dignitaries.
- On Monday, September 14th, 2020, Boulder Peak opened its doors to students. The start of the 2020-21 school year was delayed by three weeks due to a major windstorm on August 10th, 2020 that caused significant damage to several of the district buildings, including Boulder Peak. The gym roof was damaged and causing water damage to the new gym floor, which had to be replaced. It was not ready for the first day of classes.