Jr. Kindergarten (formerly ECBP)
Screening Dates for the 2022-2023 School Year will be held on April 22 and April 25th, 2022. If you are interested in a screening, you will still need to enroll your child as a kindergartener to sign up for a screening spot.
Children will be screened in the areas of literacy, mathematics and social-emotional development. Completion of these items will include teacher and parent input. The process will take approximately 30 minutes.
Guardians will need to bring Proof of Residency and Birth Verification to the screening.
Important Information about Jr. Kindergarten (JK):
Our district offers an all-day alternative kindergarten program called Jr. Kindergarten (JK). The JK program offers a blended approach to learning that includes a mix of early childhood education and elementary education. The school day will focus on social, emotional and behavioral growth as well as have a literacy and math focus. Below is important information about our program:
- Children must turn 5 years of age between March 15, 2022 and September 15, 2022 to qualify.
- A student must qualify based on their screening score to participate in the program.
- Children must live in the Linn-Mar Community School District to participate in this program. Open enrollment is not an option for this program.
- A year of JK is followed by a year of full day kindergarten.
- A student attending JK would be considered as being retained in kindergarten.
- All JK locations are at Novak Elementary.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the guardian. If you are needing transportation, you will need to contact our Transportation Department by May 13th to be considered for busing services.
- Creative Curriculum is utilized throughout the school day which is based on early childhood theories and research. It creates purposeful and productive play experiences that help children grow in all areas. The goal of the Creative Curriculum is for children to become independent, self-confident, curious learners who work well with others.
- The Jr. Kindergarten program uses SPLASH into Pre-K which is a comprehensive coverage of all the critical domains and fully integrates all curricular areas of learning through the program. Every aspect of SPLASH into Pre-K was intentionally designed and developed ensuring seamless teaching and learning and Kindergarten readiness.
- Program outcomes are based on Iowa CORE kindergarten standards that have been selected to align with kindergarten outcomes that are appropriate for students who are receiving and additional year of instruction.
- The first Monday of each month (with the exception of Labor Day) will be Professional Development time for staff and children will not attend.
- Enrollment in this program will be determined by data collected from parents and through the screening process to help identify how we can best meet your child’s needs.
If you have questions about our Jr. Kindergarten program, please contact Michaela O’Connell at 319-730-3627.
Within all programming options, the developmental needs of the child will be monitored on a regular basis to ensure the current placement is appropriate for the child. Teacher and parent communication is important during the first several months of school so that the educational experience of the child is successful.
Director of Early Childhood Education: Michaela O’Connell