Jr. Kindergarten (Alternative Kindergarten)
Sign-up for Jr. Kindergarten (JK):
If you are interested in the Jr. Kindergarten program for next year and want more information on signing up for a screening appointment, please follow the steps below.
Step 1: Read the qualifications below and fill out Survey to indicate your interest in the JK program. Click Here
Step 2: After Survey, sign-up for JK Screening appointment. Screenings are March 31st, 2023, and April 3rd, 2023, between 7:00am and 4:30pm. Screenings last approximately 30 minutes with the student in the areas of literacy, mathematics, and social-emotional development. Guardians will need to bring Proof of Residency and Birth Verification to the screening appointment. Click Here
Step 3: Attend your scheduled JK Screening date and time.
Step 4: Linn-Mar will email you within a week of the screening to confirm enrollment in JK or Kindergarten.
(Enrollment in the JK program will be determined at the screening appointment by data collected from parents and student to help identify how we can best meet your child’s needs. Parents will be notified within a week of the screening whether or not their child qualifies for JK.)
Important Information about Jr. Kindergarten (JK):
Our district offers an all-day alternative kindergarten program called Jr. Kindergarten (JK). The JK program offers a blended approach to learning that includes a mix of early childhood education and elementary education. This is a full day program that runs on the same calendar as the school district. The school day will focus on social, emotional and behavioral growth as well as have a literacy and math focus. Below is important information about our program:
- Children must turn 5 years of age between March 15, 2023, and September 15, 2023, to qualify to be screened.
- A student must qualify based on their screening score to participate in the program.
- A year of JK is followed by a year of full day kindergarten.
- A student attending JK would be considered as being retained in kindergarten.
- All JK locations are at Novak Elementary and are full day programs (8:30 am -3:15 pm).
- The location of the JK programs is evaluated annually placement may change based on district wide enrollment numbers.
- Before and after school care is provided at Novak. You will need to contact Novak Elementary for more details.
- Busing services for Jr. Kindergarten is evaluated each year by district office and is not a guarantee from year to year. Busing will not be provided for all Jr. Kindergarten students for the 2023-2024 school year.
- The Jr. Kindergarten program uses components of the SPLASH into Pre-K curriculum which is a comprehensive coverage of all the critical domains and fully integrates all curricular areas of learning through the program. Every aspect of SPLASH into Pre-K was intentionally designed and developed ensuring seamless teaching and learning and Kindergarten readiness.
- Program outcomes are based on Iowa CORE kindergarten standards that have been selected to align with kindergarten outcomes that are appropriate for students who are receiving and additional year of instruction.
- Enrollment in this program will be determined at the screening appointment by data collected from parents and student to help identify how we can best meet your child’s needs. Parents will be notified within a week of the screening whether or not their child qualifies for JK.
If you have questions about our Jr. Kindergarten program, please contact Michaela Pirnat at 319-730-3627.
Within all programming options, the developmental needs of the child will be monitored on a regular basis to ensure the current placement is appropriate for the child. Teacher and parent communication is important during the first several months of school so that the educational experience of the child is successful.
Elementary Director of Teaching and Learning: Karla Ries